[kdepim-users] maildir mails gone from the last 2 weeks

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 22 09:20:10 BST 2008

On Thursday 21 August 2008 21:55:52 martin wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2008 11:38:45 martin wrote:
> > hi!
> > unfortunately, the kernel of my computer just crashed and i had to press
> > reset. kmail was open and i read some mails at this point.
> > also my filters are gone and my mail from the last 2 weeks, the last mail
> > i have here is from the 4th of august.
>
> ah sorry, i totally forgot: i have kmail from kde4.1
> thanks,

Martin, if you look in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail (and sub-directories, depending
on your distro) can see see the messages there? Can you check the datestamps
to see if the missing messages do appear?

Assuming that the missing messages should be in your Inbox, with kmail closed,
delete all index files relating to Inbox.  They will be recreated.

I can't guarantee that it will get your messages back - it depends how much
damage has been done - but it's worth a try.  It definitely won't make your
situation worse.

Whatever happens about this, you need to work out what happened with that
crash.  It is certainly not normal for the kernel to crash.

Anne