[kdepim-users] maildir mails gone from the last 2 weeks

Fri Aug 22 14:42:32 BST 2008

On Friday 22 Aug 2008 6:13:33 pm martin wrote:
> > Martin, if you look in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail (and sub-directories,
> > depending on your distro) can see see the messages there?
>
> no, i know the exact text of several new mails who are gone. i grepped .kde
> for the text, but nothing. the files have vanished. i also opened every
> maildir file in a folder where mails are missing, but i found no new mails.

Just to check, have you tried grepping for text from the mail that have
survived? Basically, just to check that the grep executed as expected
especially since i think maildir uses hidden files and folders.

> > Whatever happens about this, you need to work out what happened with that
> > crash.  It is certainly not normal for the kernel to crash.
>
> the nvidia binary driver... but i already have an ati card. in the meantime
> i can deal with the lost mail situation, but it would be great to know how
> that could happen, perhaps i can catch tcmguire on irc(and if he has time).
> i had multiple kde apps open at the time of the crash. but only the mails
> are gone and my kmail config, so i dont really know if its kmails fault or
> xfs, or if there could be a fix so that kind of problem doesnt happen other
> users.

I understand that could be really hard to tell and even harder to reproduce.
Maybe the crash was at that unfortunate moment when kmail was writing to disk?
Still it sounds very surprising that only kmail suffered and that both its
configuration and data got corrupted!
--
Cheers!
Kishore