[kdepim-users] gmail / google apps, dIMAP and kontact

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Thu Apr 3 18:14:11 BST 2008

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 18:58, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> 	GMail absorbs the received email if it is the same as the sent, so when
> sending an email via smtp to your own address, it will only be kept on the
> Sent folder (and of course on ALL MAIL); To prevent spam, GMail limits its
> smtp to pre-authorized address (more can be added on Gmail Settings). So if
> users try sending emails via their GMail smtp account with another FROM
> address, it will be replaced with the default FROM address. Reply-to can be
> changed by the user without any problem;

I switched things over to gmail some time back and ran into one problem that
was enough of an issue for me that I switched back to using Verizon's
servers.  I send a message out to a mailing list,  like this one,  and I know
that it got to the list when I see it showing up there.  As,  I get one in
that's _from_ the list (not from me).  For some dumb reason google has
decided that I don't need to see these,  and I never get to know for sure
whether something I've posted has made it to a list until I start getting
replies to it.

An attempt to correspond with them about this was pretty much fruitless.

Also,  locally I have both stuff from my inbox and stuff from my sent-mail
folders sorted out into other folders that are pertaining to particular
individuals that I correspond with.  An attempt to get some similar
organization going with the stuff that's sitting in the "boxes" at google
turned out to be an exercise in frustration -- their system would _not_ let
me do that with some of my correspondence,  I could mark things in the inbox
as belonging to certain conversations and tell it to archive them and it
would effectively "move" them to those folders,  but attempting to do the
same thing with things in the sent-mail folder simply didn't work.

So apparently you can't choose how you organize your emails there,  it's their
way or not at all.

I used gmail as a backup these days,  and poll it maybe once a week,  but
won't bother with it otherwise.

-
M Dakin