[kdepim-users] gmail / google apps, dIMAP and kontact

(=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=) -- Fernando ubuntu at bugabundo.net
Wed Apr 2 23:58:33 BST 2008

GAFYD ( Google Apps for Your Domain - http://www.google.com/a ) and regular GMail accounts works great and as expected for me over IMAP and dIMAP.

A small sets of hints that many ppl forgets:
	Gmail only DELETES email when it is sent to the Trash folder, so set your kmail account to use GMail trash folder and not your local offline folder;
	Also, when you shift-delete an email from inbox or any other label, a copy is still kept on ALL MAIL [a];
	Uploading a new email to any label (or the inbox) will create a copy on ALL MAIL;
	Reading an email from inbox or any label marks the email As Read on the next sync;
	AFAIK kmail doesnt support IDLE so there is no way to automatically trigger new emails when using online IMAP;
	Editing a Draft email, will not remove it from GMail;
	GMail absorbs the received email if it is the same as the sent, so when sending an email via smtp to your own address, it will only be kept on the Sent folder (and of course on ALL MAIL);
	To prevent spam, GMail limits its smtp to pre-authorized address (more can be added on Gmail Settings). So if users try sending emails via their GMail smtp account with another FROM address, it will be replaced with the default FROM address. Reply-to can be changed by the user without any problem;

[a] a few months ago I started using Mutt to access GMail/GAFYD (mutt -f imaps://YOUREMAIL@gmail.com@imap.gmail.com/\[Gmail\]/All\ Mail/). It was quite frustrating to not be able to delete email....

--
BUGabundo  :o)
(``-_-ยดยด)	http://Ubuntu.BUGabundo.net