[kdepim-users] K3b headache

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Apr 22 17:24:53 BST 2008

On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Franco Pellegrini wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>>  Yeah, I know, k3b is off topic on this list.  But for one question that I
>> know has to be bugging lots more folks than me, play along & humor this
>> ole fart.
>>
>>  For about the last year, k3b has refused to give the drive time to
>> recognize the disk after a reload of the disk for a burn that has the
>> verify box checked.  It spits out the disk, then immediately reloads it,
>> and only about 3 seconds later, and a good 40 seconds before the drive has
>> accepted the disk, k3b spits out a no disk error and the chance to verify
>> the burn is lost, leaving me to figure out how many 2048 byte blocks are
>> in the image, and concoct a cli that will do the verify, which by the time
>> I verify the src image too, is about an extra hour to burn a disk that
>> burns in 10 minutes. The disk has a good sha1sum when the dust and foul
>> language has settled.
>>
>>  Is there an *rc or .conf file someplace where I could specify that it
>> should wait till the drive has accepted the disk and is ready to read it?
>> The current scenario is leading to an overdose of aspirin.
>>
>>  Thanks.
>>
>>  --
>>  Cheers, Gene
>>  "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>   soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>>  -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>>         "Have you lived here all your life?"
>>         "Oh, twice that long."
>
>I do not have a solution for your problem, i'm afraid, but just wanted
>to let you know, you're not alone in the headaches caused by k3b...
>I'm currently having problems with the "verify" option... the thing is
>that when it finishes, the DVD (or CD, whatever) gets out, but is
>never loaded again... loading it manually doesn't work also... it just
>waits and waits and i have to cancel it... :-( very frustrating...
>
>anyway... good luck with that :-)
>
>cheers,
>Franco

I've found a flashrom update for the drive, (yay! I actually managed to make
Wine do something useful, a genuine first here, paint it on the wall!) but
that did not appear to hasten its recognition of a freshly inserted disk.  It
still sits there for about a full minute with the access led on, before it is
ready to do business with the outside world again, and this outside world
includes dd.

So what I usually do is divide the size of the iso file by 2048, its block
size, to get the number of blocks to read and then issue:

#> dd if=/dev/sr0 bs=2048 count=the-above-answer | sha1sum

and which has only failed me once and that disk truly was bad, visible surface
damage I didn't do.  I've since learned to expect that from memorex.

The other thing that bugs me is that while md5sum has been deprecated by
everyone in the business because it was found to be fool-able, k3b still
insists on using it, and its answers are in no way comparable to sha1sum's
answers.  K3b gets new artwork for its gui quite frequently, but it sure as
hell isn't getting its bugs fixed with the same enthusiasm. I can recall, 3
or 4 versions back, when this verify did work because it sat there patiently
waiting for the drive to become ready for however long it took.

Can someone tell me where to find the src's for k3b-1.0.4 in a standalone
format?  I'm an old fart, way past my prime at coding, but if no one else is
going to take a walk through it, I'll at least grep through it and see what I
can do.

Thanks for the reply Franco, I appreciate it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)