[kdepim-users] K3b headache (Franco Pellegrini)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 06:44:36 BST 2008

On Wednesday 23 April 2008, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>>  For about the last year, k3b has refused to give the drive time to
>> recognize the disk after a reload of the disk for a burn that has the
>> verify box checked.  It spits out the disk, then immediately reloads it,
>> and only about 3 seconds later, and a good 40 seconds before the drive has
>> accepted the
>
>Hi,
>
>we recently found a work around about this, to disable the eject option, so
> the  cd/dvd stays inside. then everything works fine.
>
>I didn't read what was the exact reason neither had the time to investigate,
> so thanks for enlightening the problem.
>
>regards

I replaced the drive with a new one and ran that test burn again, but not
ejecting the disc results in the drive getting confused, and I was unable to
read more than the final 2048 length block of the burn, even with dd after
I'd quit k3b.  Ejecting the disk, and then reloading it, giving the drive a
period to recognize the disk, and repeating the sha1sum verify by hand worked
perfectly.

So it is as I've been told, the disc must be ejected and reloaded in order for
the drive to get the info from the disc freshly.  So now, with that teeny
patch applied, my next burn will be with the eject after burn option
re-enabled in order to check if this patch actually works for me.

Unforch, its been real around here the last 2 days and it may be another day
before I have a chance to re-check this, so please don't think I've forgotten
about it if I'm quiet for a day or so.

Thanks to all who replied.

--
Cheers, Gene