"Project - Subtitles - Import Subtitle File..." ruins non-ascii characters when importing SRT file in UTF-8 encoding.

Stub lahaye+kdenlive at g.skku.edu
Tue Mar 7 03:01:29 GMT 2023

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle wrote:

| Thanks for your report. I could reproduce the problem using very short
| subtitle files, where it incorrectly thinks an UTF-8 file is encoded as
| japanese. I will update the import dialog to show the detected encoding,
| better handle poor detection confidence and allow user to enforce an
encoding.

I am quite puzzled by the following. When I have a kdenlive project and I
have created manually new subtitles, there are two files after saving my
project:
myproject.kdenlive
myproject.kdenlive.srt

Note: the srt file here is in UTF-8.
When I save and close kdenlive, and then open my project again, it loads
the "myproject.kdenlive.srt" file without any problem (non-ascii characters
are *not* scrambled).

However, when I make a copy of the srt file, for example "cp
myproject.kdenlive.srt new.srt", delete all the subtitles in kdenlive, and
then use "Project - Subtitles - Import Subtitle File..." for the new.srt
file, the non-ascii characters are scrambled.

My confusion:
 the automatic loading of the UTF-8 subtitle files work fine
 when importing the same UTF-8 subtitle files, it scrambles the non-ascii
characters.

-S.