"Project - Subtitles - Import Subtitle File..." ruins non-ascii characters when importing SRT file in UTF-8 encoding.

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle jb at kdenlive.org
Sun Mar 5 07:10:09 GMT 2023

On Sonntag, 5. März 2023 05:16:55 CET Stub wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Creating new subtitles within kdenlive works just fine and it automatiicall
> obeys the UTF-8 encoding for non-ascii characters.
>
> When I save and close kdenlive, the automatcially saved srt file also
> correctly shows the non-ascii UTF-8 characters when inspected with a simple
> text editor.
>
> HOWEVER, things go wrong with the
>
>    Project -> Subtitles -> Import Subtitle File...
>
> When I import a subtitle srt file with non-ascii characters (encoded in
> UTF-8), all non-ascii characters get scrambled to unreadable character
> sequences.
> On the other hand, if I later open the saved kdenlive file, then the
> automatically saved subtitles file is loaded correctly (NO scrambling of
> non-ascii characters).
>
> So my guess is, that something is wrong with the "Import Subtitle File..."
> procedure. Is that so?

Hi,

Thanks for your report. I could reproduce the problem using very short
subtitle files, where it incorrectly thinks an UTF-8 file is encoded as
japanese. I will update the import dialog to show the detected encoding,
better handle poor detection confidence and allow user to enforce an encoding.

Regards
Jean-Baptiste Mardelle