SVG Transformations: Where?

Julius Künzel jk.kdedev at smartlab.uber.space
Fri Dec 15 20:16:12 GMT 2023

Am 9. Dezember 2023 um 17:41 schrieb "John L. Poole" <prestopoole at proton.me>:

> I created an SVG title page (see link below) where
>
> the new lines of text were combined into a single line
>
> that goes off the page. The
>
> engine that handles the transformation from SVG to binary,
>
> png?, is the culprit. I have professional experience
>
> touching in this area and think I might be able to help and
>
> that perhaps the problem I am experiencing is the cause
>
> of possible other problems in transformations, though it
>
> is with the Apache Batik project. I saw there
>
> are several bugs relating to SVG.
>
> I am new to KDEnlive and I am willing to help deal with the
>
> specific issue of SVG transformations if I determine it is
>
> a few hours of work.
>
> I cloned the KDEnlive code and started searching for "svg" and
>
> found very little which suggests the project is relying on
>
> a framework to handle to transformations.
>
> Would someone be able to point me to the project which handles
>
> the transformation? QTMultimedia?
>
> Here's the sample I'm using as a test is at:
>
>  [expires in 1 year]
> https://pastebin.com/sNanJFDk
>
> I'm running KDEnlive on Gentoo Linux. Here's the package
>
> used to build my instance:
>
>  [expires 1 year]
> https://pastebin.com/4it6CRxT
>
> Thank you for your consideration.
>
> John

Hi John,

nice to hear you are interested to help!

Simply spoken Kdenlive is "just" a UI for MLT (https://www.mltframework.org/) which is a multimedia framework based on FFmpeg and used to do the rendering.

In https://github.com/mltframework/mlt/blob/3ffb57b99a62a6cd356e6548f233d4f683a4b21c/src/modules/core/loader.dict#L45 you can see that the qimage module of MLT is used for SVG files hence I suggest to use this as a starting point to investigate your issue further through the code base of MLT and maybe Qt.

I hope this helps. In case of technical / code related questions feel also free to open an issue on https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues

Looking forward to your contribution!
Julius

 https://invent.kde.org/jlskuz
Julius Künzel
Volunteer KDE Developer, mainly hacking Kdenlive
KDE GitLab: www.invent.kde.org/jlskuz https://invent.kde.org/jlskuz
Matrix: @jlskuz:kde.org https://go.kde.org/matrix/#/@jlskuz:kde.org