Hi, I'm the App Stores Support Engineer guy

Julius Künzel jk.kdedev at smartlab.uber.space
Wed Sep 7 20:16:38 BST 2022

7. September 2022 um 10:52, "Ingo Klöcker" <kloecker at kde.org> schrieb:

> Hi kdenlive people,
>
> as you may have read on the community mailing list [1], I'm taking on the role
> of App Stores Support Engineer for KDE.
>
> Aleix Pol wrote:
> "Ingo will be working with the different teams in KDE towards our
> infrastructure getting prepared to have their software delivered to
> the platforms they are targetting. With this, we hope to improve the
> reach of our products to end users and hopefully enable them also to
> make a living with their KDE products."

Hi Ingo, welcome and thanks for reaching out to us! It is great news to have you as an App Stores Support Engineer! Let me try to answer your questions…

Concerning Microsoft Store it is a mix of "no body had the time to care" and some doubts (legal and others), that we probably better discuss in a less public place (you can write to team at kdenlive.org if you need more info)
See also https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues/996

> Here are a few questions I'm interested in:
>
> a) Where can I find more information about your building (and publishing)
> process? Who should I talk to in your team?

TL;DR See https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/blob/master/dev-docs/packaging.md

Not long ago we had a custom Appimage build script, created Windows binaries with KDE Craft (https://community.kde.org/Craft) and did not provide a macOS version at all. As you can guess this was very expensive in terms of maintenance. About a year ago we finally got a working macOS version build by Craft (see https://kdenlive.org/en/2021/10/kdenlive-comes-to-macos-nightly-version/). At the begin of the year we also switched the Appimage build to Craft which reduces the effort for releases noticeable. We usually download the stable binaries from https://binary-factory.kde.org, do some manual tests of the core features to check everything is working as expected and upload them to https://download.kde.org/ (needs sysadmin action, to make them finally available, see https://download.kde.org/README_UPLOAD).

Flatpak and Snap are different stories as they are mostly maintained by the KDE Flatpak team / KDE Neon team (Snap), but we also do updates to the manifests sometimes.

Also note that we can yet build Kdenlive only with MinGW, not with MSVC due to MLT (https://www.mltframework.org/, Kdenlives media backend and main dependency)

At the moment we have basically two active Kdenlive main developers: Jean-Baptiste Mardelle and me. We do both care about the Craft packaging.

> b) Are there things you wish the KDE infrastructure would better support with
> regard to building for different platforms and publishing in different app
> stores?

One issue to mention here is package signing for the macOS DMGs, which does not exist/work. Hence the user sees some security warnings when trying to install (See https://docs.kdenlive.org/en/getting_started/installation.html#kdenlive-on-macos)
Another item on our wish list is building for mac arm. This is yet not supported by Craft, but WIP if I interpret the changes of the last weeks in Craft correct.
Also we have a longstanding issue with translations only partly working on Windows (and mac???), which haven't found the cause for yet: https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues/923

> c) Are there things in the KDE Frameworks that should be improved to ease
> building for different platforms, e.g. do you patch some KDE Frameworks when
> you create builds for Windows or macOS?

Not that I am aware of, and if so "we don't care" because: KDE Craft!

> d) Do you want to target more platforms and/or app stores? If yes, which and
> in which order?

Nothing planed, except as  already described above macOS ARM and MSVC

> e) Are there tasks/issues on some task board or issue tracker that I should
> look at?

In addition to the already mentioned maybe:

- https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues/993
- https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues/1473
- https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues/1386

> f) Is this mailing list the right place to talk about this?

The mailing list is the right place, however sometimes not very active. Another option would be the Matrix Developer channel: #kdenlive-dev:kde.org For confidential topics, you can reach out to the core team in private by writing to team at kdenlive.org or to me or any of the other team members directly. Feel free to do so!

> Regards,
> Ingo
>
> [1] https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2022q3/007274.html

Hope that helps and thanks again!

Cheers,
Julius

Julius Künzel
Volunteer KDE Developer, mainly hacking Kdenlive
KDE GitLab: https://my.kde.org/user/jlskuz/
Matrix: @jlskuz:kde.org