A story of a former Kdenlive's user (switched to Olive)

Tobiasz Karoń unfa00 at gmail.com
Sat May 11 20:15:02 BST 2019

sob., 11 maj 2019 o 20:03 Jacob Kauffmann <jacob at nerdonthestreet.com>
napisał(a):

> On Sat, May 11, 2019, at 10:28 AM, Tobiasz Karoń wrote:
>
> If you want to just "cut the tape" and don't need any effects or
> compositing - Kdenlvie may be acceptable. But not if you want to do
> anything more complex.
>

> I don't think this is true, and I strongly dislike the implication that
> people who use Kdenlive aren't "serious" editors. I've been using Kdenlive
> since at least 2012, and over the years, I've done all kinds of
> compositing, rotoscoping, color correction, chroma-keying, and other things
> with it beyond simply "cutting the tape."

Oh no - that's not what I meant. I am pretty serious about making videos,
and I know many people who also use Kdenlive for serious work
What I wanted to say is that doing complex work in Kdenlive is an order of
magnitude harder than doing very simple ones. The software becomes very
flaky, and the user needs to take extra caution and wokraround problems as
their projects complexity grows. That's my experience at least.

For example - I had so much problems with the Rotoscoping effect that I
just decided to stop trying, becasue it gave me more trouble than gains.
Maybe for some users (on some systems?) they can work reliably,
unfortunately not for me :)

> I do agree that the limitations you talked about are very real issues-- I
> have felt like I'm "pushing the limits" of Kdenlive with some of my
> projects (although I'm always proud to do so.) I didn't even realize how
> much of an issue the lack of GPU utilization was until I tried Resolve for
> a month. (I still ended up coming back to Kdenlive because it's libre
> software and because Resolve doesn't work with the open-source AMDGPU
> drivers and ROCm OpenCL, though.)

I had the same "revelation" once I tried Olive. I was like "Wo my hardware
CAN process it this fast? WOW!"

> As far as "starting over" goes, my impression is that that's the point of
> refactoring sections of the program: to get rid of the old built-up crud
> that's holding things back. I would be interested to know how closely the
> Kdenlive devs work/are willing to work with MLT to improve it alongside the
> frontend.

If that's the case, then I'm looking forward to it.

> Just my two cents, since it seems like it's sharing day.
>
> - Jacob Kauffmann

Thanks!

--
- Tobiasz 'unfa' Karoń