A story of a former Kdenlive's user (switched to Olive)

Narcis Garcia informatica at actiu.net
Wed May 15 17:54:11 BST 2019

El 11/5/19 a les 21:15, Tobiasz Karoń ha escrit:

 <mailto:jacob at nerdonthestreet.com>> napisał(a):

>     __
>
>     On Sat, May 11, 2019, at 10:28 AM, Tobiasz Karoń wrote:
>>     If you want to just "cut the tape" and don't need any effects or
>>     compositing - Kdenlvie may be acceptable. But not if you want to
>>     do anything more complex.
>
>     I don't think this is true, and I strongly dislike the implication
>     that people who use Kdenlive aren't "serious" editors. I've been
>     using Kdenlive since at least 2012, and over the years, I've done
>     all kinds of compositing, rotoscoping, color correction,
>     chroma-keying, and other things with it beyond simply "cutting the
>     tape."
>
> Oh no - that's not what I meant. I am pretty serious about making
> videos, and I know many people who also use Kdenlive for serious work
> What I wanted to say is that doing complex work in Kdenlive is an order
> of magnitude harder than doing very simple ones. The software becomes
> very flaky, and the user needs to take extra caution and wokraround
> problems as their projects complexity grows. That's my experience at least.
>
> For example - I had so much problems with the Rotoscoping effect that I
> just decided to stop trying, becasue it gave me more trouble than gains.
> Maybe for some users (on some systems?) they can work reliably,
> unfortunately not for me :)

This is my experience too.

+ Kdenlive project has no releases cycle designed to have really stable
versions.
p.e. Debian repositories have always a "casual" version that becomes
quickly unmaintained, and AppImages an similar downloadables are never
LTS versions.