Zombie clips, enter/leave group?

Alistair Riddoch alriddoch at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 28 21:41:30 BST 2019

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 6:36 PM Steven Boswell II <ulatekh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm using kdenlive 18.12.3 and mlt 6.12.0, as supplied by Fedora Core 29.
> Presently, I'm using kdenlive for the most complex project I've ever
> attempted, so I'm having issues I haven't had before.
>
> Every once in a while -- and I don't know the reproduction steps -- one of
> my video clips will stop working. It still appears in the timeline, but it
> doesn't display any more, and won't export. I can't move it, and if I try
> to resize it, it disappears, and I get a message "Error resizing clip". I
> can reconstruct the clip from its original source, but it's a pain.

I have experienced this problem a number of times. Each time has been while
working on a complex project, and each time I have not been able to
reproduce it. The steps leading up to the problem are not consistent
either, though the work I am doing at the time often involves the Speed
effect. The only way I have found to reliably recover is to quit kdenlive
and reload the project. When I do this the affected clip has disappeared. I
have a loose theory that the clip no longer really exists, but its
representation in the timeline remains due to a bug.

I have never reported this as a bug as I have been unable to reproduce it,
or describe a real pattern to the steps leading up to the bug occurring.

Like you I was running Fedora 29, with the version of kdenlive packaged by
Fedora. I have recently upgraded for Fedora 30, so am no longer certain
which version of kdenlive I was using when the bug occured. I am planning
to upgrade to the refactored branch releases once I have completed two
projects, currently in flight.

Al

--
Alistair Riddoch