Combine project bin duplicates?

Steven Boswell II ulatekh at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 29 03:16:57 BST 2019

So, while completing work on a new scene in a larger video, I zoomed out, and was surprised (read "horrified") to find that the rest of my project's scenes had somehow been deleted! I saved my new scene in the library, reloaded a backup file (thank goodness kdenlive makes those), imported the new scene from the library, and selected "expand clip" to hopefully make it editable again.
But this had two unexpected side effects: my project bin now had several duplicated references to the same source, and each of the clips of the imported library scene had a zero-time crop-start! It appears that all of the library-clip sources were imported as cut-down versions of the same source. Selecting "expand clip" on it again had no effect, and looking at "clip properties" for the duplicated references in the project bin doesn't indicate that the source is anything but the original full-length source. "Clean project" didn't resolve these duplicates, either.

So I ask...how am I supposed to import library clips so that they don't retain this sort of uneditable heritage? It appears the duplicate "producer" XML elements have different "in" and "out" attributes, all all the related "entry" XML elements have a zero "in" attribute.

As it stands, I'm just recreating that scene from scratch in a backup version of my project, which is deeply unthrilling.
I would appreciate any insights into these matters.
Steven Boswell