Zombie clips, enter/leave group?

Steven Boswell II ulatekh at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 18:35:06 BST 2019

I'm using kdenlive 18.12.3 and mlt 6.12.0, as supplied by Fedora Core 29. Presently, I'm using kdenlive for the most complex project I've ever attempted, so I'm having issues I haven't had before.
Every once in a while -- and I don't know the reproduction steps -- one of my video clips will stop working. It still appears in the timeline, but it doesn't display any more, and won't export. I can't move it, and if I try to resize it, it disappears, and I get a message "Error resizing clip". I can reconstruct the clip from its original source, but it's a pain.
Also, is there any way to enter a group, so that the clips in there can be edited individually without having to ungroup them? I'm thinking of something similar to what LibreOffice Draw has with grouped shapes -- I can select a group, and enter it, and all other shapes are grayed out, and I can edit the contained shapes (or enter sub-groups). I've grouped my clips by scene, but if I want to edit something in an older scene, I have to move surrounding groups away from it, so that I can ungroup it, edit its clips, and then re-group them without the danger of including nearby clips I didn't intend.
Thanks for any help, and thank you very much for creating this editor. I wish I had time and energy outside of work to contribute programming help, but I have one of those more-than-full-time jobs.
Steven Boswell