Variable frame rate footage

CCE drcce2001 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 18 14:09:02 BST 2019

Hi,

I have been using Kdenlive for about three years now in Ubuntu Studio. I find it very stable and perfect for my requirements. Many thanks to all involved in its development.
I have a question (can't see any answer on the website): Can Kdenlive handle variable frame rate footage without audio sync problems?
If not, are there any plans to add conversion to constant frame rate on import as a feature?
As you will know, smartphone footage is increasingly good enough for many purposes but most of it is variable frame rate and it tends to go out of sync in many NLEs.
Smartphone video cameras, because they are carried everywhere by almost everyone, are great for capturing moments that would otherwise be lost using a more traditional camera. Smartphones are increasingly used in news gathering, even by the mainstream media for this reason. They are no longer a poor quality fringe phenomenon but an almost universal means of acquiring high quality HD and even UHD footage.
I know that VFR footage can be converted to constant frame rate in third party applications like Handbrake but it would it would be simpler and easier if Kdenlive could do conversion on import.
Thanks.
Chris