The future is almost here

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle jb at kdenlive.org
Fri Jul 6 15:35:59 BST 2018

On 06.07.2018 10:43, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> "Most of the code was rewritten, which also means many possible..."
>
> I say: Some Kdenlive users need LTS versions instead of needing to be
> trying latest AppImages forever.

For sure. But for that we need to reach stability. That's what we hope
to achieve with the 18.08 release.

> Issues found in this kdenlive-18.08-beta17-x86_64 :
>
> 1. tested a clean DVD/PAL project: Add an MP4 to project {Audio AAC,
> video H.264, clip monitor plays perfect}. When trying to drop in
> timeline (first track, with label "V3"), action is prevented with a
> message "No available audio track for split operation".
> I suppost default project timeline should have well-ordered tracks:
> V1,V2,A1,A2 and there should be a preferences option to not use new
> separation feature.

Done, 2 audio tracks and 2 video tracks by default now.
Disabling the automatic separation will not be possible anymore. However
I also find it annoying to have that issue. Maybe we can find a way to
make it more flexible, we need to think about it. For example insert
video only if no audio track is available, or add icons that allow to
drag only audio part or only video part from the bin or monitor.
> 2. Proxy clip seems to be only generated manually (not due to
> preferences enablement).
Fixed in git now
> 3. Cut scissors seem to work only as a "direc tool"; no "cut clip"
> action with context menu to cut on cursor position (I know there is a
> main menu bar option).
There is a "cut" entry in the timeline clip context menu to cut a clip
at razor position (It didn't work I just fixed it)
> 4. File -> Open : Can't open folders with non-english characters in
> their names (double-click and no effect).

I cannot reproduce. Will do more tests. You mean you have a project file
stored in a folder with non standard characters and cannot access the
content of the folder from the file > open dialog ? Can you copy/paste
the name of the problematic folder in a mail?

> 5. Default folter to save projects should not be "Documents" but
> "Videos" in user profile.

Fixed in git

> 6. Theme and style switch process is a bit inconsistent, but there are
> very good results with AppImage!
Nice. I did some improvments to limit the annoying "Restart kdenlive
message" appearing when not necessary.

> 7. Is there som way to convert a project to be fully portable? I mean,
> to Kdenlive gathers all related files and copies/moves them to a
> selected folder (a project's one).
> + What is the: Project -> Archive project ?

Currently the easiest way to achieve this is to have all clips stored in
subfolders of where the project file is stored. The "Project > Archive"
function was designed to move all used clips in such a folder hierarchy
but needs to be ported because of all the refactoring changes.
> Congratulations for reached stability this time.

Thanks.
I will upload a new AppImage on sunday with all these fixes for more
testing.