Ambiguity of "clip"

Camille Moulin camille.moulin at free.fr
Wed Aug 23 20:38:50 UTC 2017

Le 23/08/2017 à 18:07, Vincent Pinon a écrit :
> [...]
> In the code, timeline "item" classes address clips but *transitions* too.
> Maybe that's why there is a generic common name...

Ok, it makes sense then

> I usually speak of "source media" for the items in the project bin
> (as footage means only video for me, but sounds, titles, pictures etc fall into "media").
I think that "footage" is sometimes used in a broader acceptation (e.g.
in After Effects), but if you use "media" internally, it's definitely
preferable.

> I think the best is to stick to terminologies used in other established editors,
> so that newcomers are not surprised.

+1 ; but from what I get, mainstream applications manage to have less
ambiguity by having a less extensive use of the word "Clip" : e.g., in
Final Cut Pro, "proxy clips" are called "proxy media".

So would you think that changing (bin) "Clip" to "Media"  would be
useful and worth it?

Cheers,
Camille