Ambiguity of "clip"

Camille Moulin camille.moulin at free.fr
Wed Aug 23 11:08:28 UTC 2017

Hi Evert,
Le 23/08/2017 à 11:25, Evert Vorster a écrit :
> Hi there, Camille.
>
> What would you suggest these be called?
>
> I suppose the term clip comes from the days where film was still on
> actual film, and scenes were "clipped" from a roll.
> In this sense, "clips" on the timeline would be the more correct term,
> whereas "footage" is the more correct term for the items in the
> project folder.
>
> Just to make things more interesting, both terms can refer to exactly
> the same thing...

I looked at other video editors and they also seem to have this
ambiguous use of the word. So, I'm not sure there is any good and easy
solution to this problem.
I would personally lean toward something along the lines that you
mentioned: keeping "clip" for instances in the timeline and finding
something else for the bin clips (I'm not sure "footage"  would fit
grammatically).

Cheers,
Camille