Installing Kdenlive-git from AUR on Arch not installing essential dependencies

Jesse DuBord jesse.dubord at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 21:02:21 UTC 2016

Thanks for the reply Evert. All fair points. I have a better
understanding of how a non-optional dependency is defined, now.

I suppose I see it as a user-friendliness issue. When installing
Kdenlive out-of-the-box, currently on Arch, it doesn't have the same
consistent (dare I say "intended") look, and the effects and transitions
lists are much fewer without the frei0r-plugins package. Many users
might not even be aware that there are a lot more FX and transition
options available with this package installed, nor would they even know
that they have to install this additional package to get there, you know?

I'm simply thinking about user-friendliness, convenience, and a more
complete out-of-the-box experience without extra steps needed by the
user. Certainly not saying how things should be done, but just giving
some input that might be of help in improving Kdenlive for some users.
Completely understand where you're coming from, though. :)

Cheers mate!

JRD