Installing Kdenlive-git from AUR on Arch not installing essential dependencies

Evert Vorster evorster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 20:53:49 UTC 2016

Hi there, Jesse.

I maintain both the kdenlive-git and kdenlive-applications-git
packages in Arch.

The software functions without these packages installed, which means
that they are optional. I was asked specifically to make these
packages optional.

There are some users that do not want to install the whole kde just to
have a good video editor. Breeze is quite a large download for someone
on dial-up, for instance.

I am not in the business of telling people how to use their computers,
and if some people want to use kdenlive without the above-mentioned
packages installed, it is possible. Making a package non-optional
removes that possibility, and is not a very nice thing to do to quite
a surprisingly large group of people.

So, yes there is a way, but no, I am not going to do it.

Kind regards,
Evert

--
Evert Vorster