[kdenlive] Comparision between Kdenlive and AVID, Premiere and FCP

Massimo Stella maxstar at tin.it
Mon Mar 7 23:15:34 UTC 2016

I tested the latest Kdenlive from git and I found the new generators and
the new library with the nesting function.
First of all I have to admit that you are doing a great job because
kdenlive is growing very fast, it's becoming better and more stable.
I updated already my post about the new features.
I also tested the new powerful nesting function (even if I still believe
that for professional purpose is essential to have the option to use
more sequences in the same project) by opening a project long 7 minutes
and 17 seconds formed by 8 tracks (5 video and 3 audio) with these results:

- When I tried to expand it in the new project timeline a message shown
up telling me that there are not enough tracks but it didn't specify
which kind of tracks, video or audio.

- For the first time I noticed that you can't add more than one track at
time, so I had to repeat the operation more times.

- Kdenlive had problems to expand the virtual clip on the timeline in
the correct way. I don't know if this latest issue is due to the fact
that the original project was created by Kdenlive ver. 0.9.10. Anyway I
imported it and saved it in the new format before to start with the
nesting procedure. The main problem is that in the original project I
put some audio clips also  on the lower video track. When Kdenlive
expanded the the virtual clip I didn't found some audio clips and I
found some video clips duplicated.

I hope this information can be useful.
Ciao.

Massimo.