[kdenlive] Comparision between Kdenlive and AVID, Premiere and FCP

Jean-Baptiste Mardelle jb at kdenlive.org
Mon Mar 7 17:33:03 UTC 2016

On Monday, March 7, 2016 11:14:26 AM CET, Sam Muirhead wrote:
> Hi Massimo,
> this is a phenomenal post - this kind of deep anaylsis is
> extremely valuable and I think we're all very grateful for the
> work you put into it.
>
> I completely agree with your (constructive) criticism and
> although there's clearly still a way for this program to go,
> though it is a good sign that most of the major hurdles to
> professional adoption can now fit within a one clear post!
>
> Regarding the different trim modes, there is some Ripple
> functionality, at least: 'Ripple Delete' deletes the selected
> zone between In and Out points on all unlocked tracks, and
> slides everything back to fill the gap:
> https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual/Timeline/Editing#Cutting_Footage_from_multiple_aligned_tracks_-_Ripple_Delete
>
> The only important workflow issue which I think wasn't covered
> (though you somewhat touched upon it in the 'nesting' section)
> is copying cut clips and edited sections between different
> projects.

In current git, I introduced a new "Library" widget that is designed for
that - storing and passing sequences between projects. The UI and workflow
could be improved, and it is not much tested but the most important
features should be here.

To use it:

1 - Show the Library widget.
2 - Select whatever you want in timeline (clips, transitions)
3 - Copy timeline selection to Library (Using the Bookmark icon in Library)

This will put the sequence in the Library.

Next, open another project where you want to use that sequence, and simply
drag and drop the sequence into this project's Bin.

You now have a "nested" clip that can be inserted in timeline. Now the best
part is that you can "expand" this nested clip in timeline to edit its
clips/effects/transitions. To do this, select the sequence in timeline, and
go to the menu Timeline > Current Clip > Expand Current Clip.

This will restore the multi-track clips.

regards
jb