[kdenlive] Comparision between Kdenlive and AVID, Premiere and FCP

Massimo Stella maxstar at tin.it
Mon Mar 7 12:34:56 UTC 2016

Hi Sam.
> Hi Massimo,
> this is a phenomenal post - this kind of deep anaylsis is extremely
> valuable and I think we're all very grateful for the work you put into it.

Thanks for all the compliments you wrote me.
> I completely agree with your (constructive) criticism and although
> there's clearly still a way for this program to go, though it is a
> good sign that most of the major hurdles to professional adoption can
> now fit within a one clear post!
>
> Regarding the different trim modes, there is some Ripple
> functionality, at least: 'Ripple Delete' deletes the selected zone
> between In and Out points on all unlocked tracks, and slides
> everything back to fill the gap:
> https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual/Timeline/Editing#Cutting_Footage_from_multiple_aligned_tracks_-_Ripple_Delete
The "ripple delete" feature I guess comes straight from Premiere (I
remember this function already in the Adobe Premiere version 5.0 which
was released in 1998).
This is from Premiere Pro ver 2.0 user guide:
https://books.google.it/books?id=KlI8d4wMrfMC&pg=PA131&lpg=PA131&dq=premiere+right+click+ripple+delete&source=bl&ots=qjQNrsuI3L&sig=wTuTaf99K6I0Mfyw1Jih2gnFgw8&hl=it&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_vtDKvq7LAhXGkCwKHdg3COsQ6AEITzAF#v=onepage&q=premiere%20right%20click%20ripple%20delete&f=false
But advanced trimming functions are a different thing and it allow you
to save A LOT of time when you work in complex and long project and to
use only the keyboard as input method while you are editing.

> The only important workflow issue which I think wasn't covered (though
> you somewhat touched upon it in the 'nesting' section) is copying cut
> clips and edited sections between different projects.
>
> I see that in 15.12 there's an 'export' option which creates an MLT
> playlist of part of a timeline, but this doesn't provide the same
> flexibility as copying a complex section of different clips,
> transitions and effects on different tracks and pasting *exactly that*
> into another sequence, so that individual clips can still be adjusted.
>
> That for me is a big issue that slows me down and stops me from
> recommending Kdenlive to others just yet.
I guess you are right but, as I wrote in the "NESTING" section of my
post a "standard" nesting approach, which let you to have different
sequences inside a project and the option to import whole projects
inside a project with all the bins, the assets and the sequences, can
fix all the issues you can have. Anyway the nesting feature is not a
fondamental feature for video editing. Actually it was added to
professional applications relatively in recent times, at least after
2003. (digital video editing exists since early 70's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npExd1D6mtI
the first version of AVID media composer is from 1989 and the first
version of Premiere is from 1991)
In my opinion the weakest side of Kdenlive in a professional perspective
at today is the audio workflow and the preview rendering on the timeline.
Anyway I tried to speak about every aspect of the program for helping
the community to take decisions about the approach to take on every
single feature.
If we'll be able to have new ideas even better than the one we can find
in professional proprietary programs it'll be a great success.

> But in all respects Kdenlive is getting much better, much faster than
> in previous years, so many thanks to JB, Vincent, and the other code
> contributors, as well as the active community making tutorials,
> writing documentation, working on design, writing bug reports and
> doing great work like this, Massimo!
I totally agree. Kdenlive is becoming every year better thanks to our
project leader heroes;)
For this reason I'm trying to give my contribution the best way I can.
The most important thing is always research and knowledge. With the
right informations we can do always better: for this reason I spent
several hours in writing the post you read.
Thanks again.
Ciao.

Massimo Stella.