Windows port progress, etc

Harald Albrecht harald.albrecht at gmx.net
Wed Dec 28 15:26:24 UTC 2016

Wow! What a Christmas present!

I've thrown one of my daytime projects at the Windows port and it kept
its head well above the water line, no crashes so far. Playback is slow,
but then this is on my Surface Pro 3 with a i5, but that runs much
slower than my Linux i5 video machine.

The first issue I see is when loading the existing project: Kdenlive
warns that the project was created in the en_US.UTF-8 locale and that
this isn't installed on my Win8.1 system. I've set my Win to German; but
this looks like some Kdenlive/KF5 on Win issue instead?

Afterwards, Kdenlive complains that the effects volume:fadein and
volume:fadeout were not found, so it removed them from the project.
Well, that's one of the most basic ones, but for a first start... ;)

After the project has been loaded, the project bin shows no preview
images. The clip monitor works correctly though, showing the clips
correctly. When I manually reload clips in the project bin, the preview
image gets correctly generated.

Some image clips don't play back in the timeline unless I manually
reload them in the project bin. Up to then, they result in a white(!)
image. These are typically PNG clips.

So this really looks incredibly promising!!!

A big thank-you to all three of you: Josh, Vincent, and Jean-Baptiste!
(in no particular order, heh!)

Happy and peaceful days to you all,
Harald