[kdenlive] Frame by frame editing and using JKL

Matthias Paillard matthias.paillard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 20:52:14 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

First time speaking here, I hope it's okay. I've recently upgraded Kdenlive
with the master PPA and I'm quite glad with the new changes. The work on
this project is amazing. I have even used the old 0.9 something version of
Kdenlive, and loved it.

However, there is one thing I'm still struggling with, that I've kind of
seen talked about on the mailing list, but I have not seen exactly my
problem on the suggestion list.

The thing is, most of my past work have been with FCP7 and FCPX, and like
AVID (which I have never used nonetheless) FCP is great for editing with
only the keyboard. But the problem I have is not with Insert/Replace clips,
no, it's the use of JKL and IO. These shortcuts work, but not quite in the
same way than FCP, which is fine, but still not very intuitive or
responsive. When I press K, I have a two seconds delay, longer that if I
use Space for some reason. J will play backward, but at lot faster than L
(on the last master version I have). I and O work fine though.

And to choose an entry point frame by frame, I have to use the arrows, and
it's still not very responsive. I guess this is due to the fact I work
mostly with H264/AVCHD files, but the frames jumps around and I'm lost
after a few frames.

So my suggestion would be to try to go a more like FCP. Which is:

J : Play backward at normal speed. Play faster if pushed more than one time.
L : Play forward at normal speed. Play faster if pushed more than one time.
K : Pause.
Hold K + J : One frame backward.
HoldK + L : One frame forward.
HoldK + Hold J : 50% speed backward.
HoldK + Hold L : 50% speed forward.

I don't know about others editing software, but for me it was the most
intuitive. Maybe something better can be made, but I believe right now
Kdenlive is not very intuitive to edit frame by frame.

One last thing is the audio. Having the audio to play, even in in reverse,
is really useful. Especially frame by frame. Having the 1/24 second of the
audio to play when seeking frame by frame allows the editor to know exactly
when something hits the ground, or someone talks, etc.

The addition of the waveform and the sound levels in the monitor helps
greatly though, and I'm glad it's here.

--
Matthias Paillard

06 81 56 60 27