[kdenlive] GSoC Project

Steve Guilford s.guilford at asterionmultimedia.com
Mon Feb 16 18:54:07 UTC 2015

On 02/16/2015 10:33 AM, Gurjot Singh Bhatti wrote:
> On 16 February 2015 at 23:44, Steve Guilford
> <s.guilford at asterionmultimedia.com> wrote:
>> You've got a slight issue at the moment given that a KF5 version of Kdenlive
>> is forthcoming in the near term future.
>>
>> Ideally, you'd make your modifications against that branch.  But, there are
>> stability issues presently that make 'modifications' problematic given the
>> thrust and intent of ongoing work.
>>
>> Therefore, if you're itching to get started right away, I'd use Ubu 14.04
>> and Kdevelop4, making modifications against the current 0.9.10 release.
>> Bear in mind, however, that you may have to take on the task of applying the
>> modifications against the KF5 release once it is ready.
> So just to get myself familiar with the stuff I can make use of KF4. Right?
Yep....
> And yes I will take on that task.
Xlnt....

>> If you can wait a few months for the KF5 release to come up to the surface
>> that may make integration and acceptance of your proposed mods more
>> streamlined.
> Is there something that I should focus on right now? Some task maybe?
Thinking about this a bit further, your proposed modifications are going
to be somewhat 'isolated' from the rest of Kdenlive so to speak.  The
title code has been set aside in it's own subdir courtesy of Vincent.
You could create a new 'titler-v2' subdir and isolate your changes there.

The interface between the bulk of Kdenlive and the titler is rather
specific - a button to bring up the titler screen and a method of
generating the appropriate project file entries for the title.
Therefore, in theory, you can make your changes and have that code
co-resident with the existing titler logic.  You can create a second
menu-entry to run your titler code as well.  Then, when KF5 comes along,
you can just port your titler-v2 subdir over, make the appropriate KF5
changes and eliminate the old titler code and menu selection.

So...how's that !!!  You can get started right away !!!

--
Steve Guilford
Founder/CTO