[kdenlive] development synchronization

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Sun Dec 21 18:45:12 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Steve Guilford <
s.guilford at asterionmultimedia.com> wrote:

> Greeting JB.
>
> Thanks for the update on the status of the KF5 port.  I concur w/ your
> plan.
>
> Regarding MLT and QT5, Dan's Shotcut video editor is running w/ the QT5
> branch.  I have a copy of Shotcut running on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
> workstation - which has both QT4 and QT5 installed.  Most of the MLT code
> avoids QT and he's already done the work to make it compile w/ QT5.

Hi Steve and JB,

This really only works because Shotcut is an experiment in app delivery
outside of distro-packages and system install on Linux, and it provides
much of its own dependencies. Kdenlive nightly builds could take a similar
approach. However, Kdenlive is already primarily delivered by packages.

Regarding building MLT against Qt 5, something I discovered is that often
the frei0r package is built with an OpenCV dependency, which provides a
couple of face detection filters most Kdenlive users do not care about. And
quite often, OpenCV is built against Qt4 for something. A Qt app can not
load both major versions of Qt libs into the same process space, and the
app will crash.

MLT's frei0r module does have a blacklist, and I could blacklist these two
plugins requiring anyone who wants to use those effects in MLT to modify
their installed blacklist. Technically, that is a heavy-handed way to
handle something simply due to intricacies of dependency management, but it
might be pragmatic.

--
+-DRD-+