[kdenlive] development synchronization

Steve Guilford s.guilford at asterionmultimedia.com
Sun Dec 21 16:49:57 UTC 2014

Greeting JB.

Thanks for the update on the status of the KF5 port.  I concur w/ your plan.

Regarding MLT and QT5, Dan's Shotcut video editor is running w/ the QT5
branch.  I have a copy of Shotcut running on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
workstation - which has both QT4 and QT5 installed.  Most of the MLT
code avoids QT and he's already done the work to make it compile w/ QT5.

Steve...>>>

On 12/21/2014 07:42 AM, jb wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2014 12.55:45 Steve Guilford wrote:
>> As you can see Vincent, pulling this off (KF5 and refactoring) is
>> challenging in a open-source project.  This type of work does not lend
>> itself well to tags and branches within git - or any other source
>> control system for that matter.
>> We can not shutdown all other development work until the above was
>> accomplished.  So, we have to use the build system and do the hard-work
>> of setting ourselves up to make the KF5 integration easy - and refactor
>> some stuff as we go.
> Hi all,
>
> As you said, doing a refactoring and the KF5 port is not easy and might lead
> to several branches where code merging becomes impossible.
>
> When Vincent and I met, we chose to work on the KF5 port first, starting from
> the "next" branch that already contained some refactoring.
>
> That KF5 port is now mostly finished and the Qt5/KF5 version of Kdenlive is
> usable in the frameworks branch, and feedback is welcome.
>
>> So, here's what I'd recommend.  We need to move all of the 'K' specific
>> function calls into isolated classes.  This will allow us to separate
>> the KDE framework from the bulk of Kdenlive's code. Once we have created
>> the required classes and moved all KDE framework calls within, we can
>> take that subdirectory (e.g. ./frameworks/kde4) and use it as the basis
>> of the KDE5 framework (e.g. ./frameworks/kde5).
> I don't really think this is possible. Moving to KF5 also means moving from
> Qt4 to Qt5. So it is not only the KDE specific code that changes but also the
> Qt code.
>
> However, I have forward ported all the recent patches from the 'master' branch
> to the new 'frameworks' branch and with a few minor edits, it was quite
> straightforward. So if some fixes are made to the current master branch, it is
> not a problem to integrate them in the frameworks branch.
>
> Now, I think the biggest challenge is how to get a KF5 version of Kdenlive
> packaged, because this requires a Qt5 compiled version of MLT too.
>
> If distro packagers are ok to work on it, I think we should really start
> shifting all our energy on the KF5 version.
>
> One option might be to try to join the KDE Application 15.04 release as Mario
> Fux suggested. I personally would love that.
>

> jb

Steve Guilford
Founder/CTO
http://www.asterionmultimedia.com