[kdenlive] development synchronization

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Sun Dec 21 15:42:49 UTC 2014

On Thursday 18 December 2014 12.55:45 Steve Guilford wrote:
> As you can see Vincent, pulling this off (KF5 and refactoring) is
> challenging in a open-source project.  This type of work does not lend
> itself well to tags and branches within git - or any other source
> control system for that matter.

> We can not shutdown all other development work until the above was
> accomplished.  So, we have to use the build system and do the hard-work
> of setting ourselves up to make the KF5 integration easy - and refactor
> some stuff as we go.

Hi all,

As you said, doing a refactoring and the KF5 port is not easy and might lead
to several branches where code merging becomes impossible.

When Vincent and I met, we chose to work on the KF5 port first, starting from
the "next" branch that already contained some refactoring.

That KF5 port is now mostly finished and the Qt5/KF5 version of Kdenlive is
usable in the frameworks branch, and feedback is welcome.

> So, here's what I'd recommend.  We need to move all of the 'K' specific
> function calls into isolated classes.  This will allow us to separate
> the KDE framework from the bulk of Kdenlive's code. Once we have created
> the required classes and moved all KDE framework calls within, we can
> take that subdirectory (e.g. ./frameworks/kde4) and use it as the basis
> of the KDE5 framework (e.g. ./frameworks/kde5).

I don't really think this is possible. Moving to KF5 also means moving from
Qt4 to Qt5. So it is not only the KDE specific code that changes but also the
Qt code.

However, I have forward ported all the recent patches from the 'master' branch
to the new 'frameworks' branch and with a few minor edits, it was quite
straightforward. So if some fixes are made to the current master branch, it is
not a problem to integrate them in the frameworks branch.

Now, I think the biggest challenge is how to get a KF5 version of Kdenlive
packaged, because this requires a Qt5 compiled version of MLT too.

If distro packagers are ok to work on it, I think we should really start
shifting all our energy on the KF5 version.

One option might be to try to join the KDE Application 15.04 release as Mario
Fux suggested. I personally would love that.

jb