[Kdenlive-devel] Audio sync issue

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Feb 7 23:37:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Dan Dennedy <dan at dennedy.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Doran Barton <fozz at iodynamics.com> wrote:
>> I have had similar issues.
>
> That is not saying much. A/V sync has been a problem for every media
> tool since day 1 and will continue to be.
>
>> For example, when editing a project that combines
>> video from my Panasonic HD camera and my Canon DV cameras, I get some audio
>> sync drift.
>>
>> The HD files are 59.94 fps, 44.1k audio sample rate.
>>
>> The DV files are 29.97 fps, 48k audio sample rate.
>>
>> Could the sample rate be causing some of the sync issues?
>
> Maybe but doubtful. Only detailed analysis of specific scenarios will
> go somewhere.

I should mention that the latest version of MLT (0.8.8) fixes an A/V
sync bug when you split the audio/video on the timeline:
 - "Automatically split audio and video" in Settings > Timeline
 - right-click clip on timeline and choose "Split Audio" or
 - individually place the same clip on a video track and audio track

Also, in middle of 2012, I made major changes to the seek and sync-ing
within MLT's avformat module due to some problematic files/formats
under versions prior to 0.8.2. Of course, there were a couple of
regressions found shortly after that. Basically, if you are using
version 0.8.2 or 0.8.6, it is time to try with latest version 0.8.8. I
have some standalone binary builds if you want to make a quick try
without depending upon your distro packages.

http://builds.meltytech.com/kdenlive/kdenlive-fedora17-x86_64-20130207.tar.bz2
http://builds.meltytech.com/kdenlive/kdenlive-ubuntu11.10-x86_64-20130207.tar.bz2
http://builds.meltytech.com/kdenlive/kdenlive-ubuntu11.10-x86-20130207.tar.bz2

Look for the start-kdenlive script after unpacking.

The ubuntu builds work on newer versions of Ubuntu in addition to
Debian 7 and OpenSUSE 12.

--
+-DRD-+