[Kdenlive-devel] help on titler evolutions

Simon A. Eugster simon.eu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 21:37:16 UTC 2012

On 02/14/2012 06:09 PM, Vincent PINON wrote:
> Le 13.02.2012 23:11, Simon A. Eugster a écrit :
>> This is where your donation jumps in! It will allow Till Theato to give
>> our source code a shiny new look and set the base for new features like
>> different timeline views, scripting, a more comfortable titler [if you
>> really want to touch this part too :)] and [insert all features from the
>> bug tracker here].
> Hi all,
>
> I jump on this evocation about the titler : bug #1646 (no multiple
> move/delete) raised my motivation to get involved \o/

Cool, welcome! :-)

> I started to get into the code, but still don't feel at ease with the
> class hierarchy (GraphicsSceneRectMove...)
> I can (&will) study further, but if Marco or somebody have any advice, I
> would be open to interactive work !

I've been looking into this part as you may have seen in the bug report.
It is late already but if you want I can give you some comments about
the titler tomorrow or so. Maybe describe the problems if you had some
so I could try to answer them as well.

> I think DVD menu editor is a very similar function, so maybe work could
> extend to this ?

Um, which one?

> Last, I think a huge but important effort for kdenlive would be
> documentation writing : probably not for this "summer of Code", but
> others keep this in mind for your long empty evenings (no Mantis ticket
> about this ;-) ) ?

Code documentation or user docs?
Some random thoughts that enter my mind when thinking about those topics
* Code documentation: I'm totally for documented code. BUT against
documenting old code just to have it documented because this is wasted
time and should better go into development (where you maybe have
difficulties understanding some parts of code and _then_ document this,
but not blindly everything).
* User documentation: http://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual
I had a lecture about User Experience and we were told that simply
listing features in the documentation and explaining them is not useful,
better would be to make it task based (how do I edit H.264 -> enable
proxy clips, how do I crash Kdenlive -> take a hammer)
</end of random thoughts>

By the way, do you already have a KDE identity for committing?

Simon