[Kdenlive-devel] help on titler evolutions

Vincent PINON vincent.pinon at st.com
Wed Feb 15 09:24:11 UTC 2012

Simon A. Eugster wrote:
> On 02/14/2012 06:09 PM, Vincent PINON wrote:
>> Le 13.02.2012 23:11, Simon A. Eugster a écrit :
>>> This is where your donation jumps in! It will allow Till Theato to give
>>> our source code a shiny new look and set the base for new features like
>>> different timeline views, scripting, a more comfortable titler [if you
>>> really want to touch this part too :)] and [insert all features from the
>>> bug tracker here].
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I jump on this evocation about the titler : bug #1646 (no multiple
>> move/delete) raised my motivation to get involved \o/
> Cool, welcome! :-)
>
>> I started to get into the code, but still don't feel at ease with the
>> class hierarchy (GraphicsSceneRectMove...)
>> I can (&will) study further, but if Marco or somebody have any advice, I
>> would be open to interactive work !
> I've been looking into this part as you may have seen in the bug report.
> It is late already but if you want I can give you some comments about
> the titler tomorrow or so. Maybe describe the problems if you had some
> so I could try to answer them as well.
OK, Marco answered my interrogations: this class derivation is to make
shape resize possible (apparently not handled directly in Qt).
I will go further on my side...
>> I think DVD menu editor is a very similar function, so maybe work could
>> extend to this ?
> Um, which one?
When I place the text buttons (linked to movies or chapters), I feel
also limited by very basic editing capabilities...

>> Last, I think a huge but important effort for kdenlive would be
>> documentation writing : probably not for this "summer of Code", but
>> others keep this in mind for your long empty evenings (no Mantis ticket
>> about this ;-) ) ?
> Code documentation or user docs?
> Some random thoughts that enter my mind when thinking about those topics
> * Code documentation: I'm totally for documented code. BUT against
> documenting old code just to have it documented because this is wasted
> time and should better go into development (where you maybe have
> difficulties understanding some parts of code and _then_ document this,
> but not blindly everything).
> * User documentation: http://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual
> I had a lecture about User Experience and we were told that simply
> listing features in the documentation and explaining them is not useful,
> better would be to make it task based (how do I edit H.264 ->  enable
> proxy clips, how do I crash Kdenlive ->  take a hammer)
> </end of random thoughts>
>
> By the way, do you already have a KDE identity for committing?
I was thinking of user manual of course! I fully agree with you: I
usually find quick answers in FAQs, but fall asleep with novel-like
manuals...
This is why I started to keep notes of the tricks I did not guessed
directly... in userbase!
This is just a crude beginning, my goal was to go through recent forum
entries & tutorials, to extract more Q&A to fill the sections...
So every time any of you wonders how to do something, userbase could be
a place to keep an ordered trace (and eventually find answer)?