[Kdenlive-devel] Drag Value

Gabriel Gazzán gabcorreo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 22:57:56 UTC 2011

All contributions are good, without a doubt, and all the ideas presented
here have good points.
I tend to favor the solution that allows the "controls part" of the
interface to be the smallest possible of all, provided it has good
usability, naturally.
Of them all, I still think the Adobe style sliders are the ones that are
better.
They provide interactive dragging functionality, they provide direct numeric
input and they are the smallest possible expression of a widget. But perhaps
most of all, they are extensively proven and familiar to all professional,
semi professional and amateur graphics designers, video editors and post
producers worldwide that use any Adobe program (and they are a LOT), so
we're making them feel at home in Kdenlive.

I personally have used extensively this kind of widget and I long for it in
every other program I also use. They are so useful and so efficient that I
seriously wonder myself, how is that all the other programs haven't
implemented it yet!!

Regarding the lack of limits awarenes while dragging, this doesn't seem to
affect the ability to drag at all. Moreover, there are parameters that
doesn't have limits at all, like a position coordinate or a rotation, for
example...

Regarding the current Kdenlive implementation shown in 'jb' mockup, I like
it!! well done!! :)
I'd just remove (or hide) the slider by default (perhaps giving the chance
to bring it back with an option in the program Preferences)
Another thing I'd remove from sight are the Reset icon, substituting it with
a 'right click option' over the numeric value.

In my opinion anything that allows the UI to devote more size to the actual
video and timeline and less to any other controls is a good thing!
(I'd of course also hide the top buttons bar by default, and perhaps place a
Render button in the already present bottom toolbar to save more space. But
that's for another discussion ;)

Well, just my 0,0001 cent

Gabriel