[Kdenlive-devel] Drag Value

Gabriel Gazzán gabcorreo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 18:45:16 UTC 2011

2011/2/8 Simon Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com>

> Yes, I could open plenty other windows. Point is, that does not
> enhance productivity, at least not for me. Why should I have a
> vectorscope there? If I do colour correction, I need all scopes anyway
> and display all of them.
> I try to put everything away that is not necessary. In order to have
> maximum size for each widget. Navigation in the Composite is more
> precise, the Project Tree needs less scrolling and shows more of the
> file name, and so on. I could also put the Transition and Effect Stack
> widgets side by side, but I cannot edit a transition and an effect
> simultaneously anyway, so I stack them (kdenlive automatically
> displays the correct widget when selecting a clip or a transition).

I didn't said Effects and Transitions visible side by side. But for example,
ProjectTree and Transition options panels opened side by side does makes
sense when quickly adding clips to the timeline and transitioning between
them.
It is clear that Transitions and Effects should probably been one under the
other.

>  >> > To me After Effects effects stack has the answer for this as well.
> >>
> >> Collapsible parameters and scroll bars, death of fluent working.
> >
> > That should be the main cause of After Effects having failed miserably as
> > commercial product all these years. ;)
>
> Commercial success does not imply a perfect interface. I would say it
> is rather the case that After Effects has a little more effects which
> also are a little better than for example ours.

No, it does not. And you know what? Premiere has a very similar interface,
or at least uses many of the same conecpt that After Effects does, and its
workflow for controlling effects or animating various elements on screen is
far worse that that of After Effects.
The big difference is that After Effects interface allows greater efficiency
and flexibility than that of Premiere.
That effieciency is given by two main things. One is that you need a really
low number of actions to get where you want or to see the parameters you
want for editing/animation.
The other one is that its interface allows to see lot's of things at the
same time.
Premiere on the other hand only shows some things simultaneously or requires
too many clicks to get where you want, making the workflow suffer.
Where Premiere really shines is in the simple editing operations: marking of
In/Out Points and get the trimmed clip to the timeline efficiently. But for
effects work or animating things on screen it's not efficient at all.

That said, I do not expect Kdenlive to be a post production application, of
course, but being efficient in screen space use will not hurt by any means.
After Effects way of showing parameters is the best and most productive way
of handling parameter values and presentation I've seen so far. (I've used a
lot of graphics related programs out there to a great extent and my
conclusion favors the After Effects way. I'm certified instructor of 3ds
Max, Maya, After Effects and Premiere, I've used Lightwave, Photohsop, GIMP,
Krita, I'm here since the Amiga days and expecienced many many kind of
programs all these years.)
This is not to say you can't have a different (and better) opinion than me,
but just to say that I've really experienced what I'm sustaining here as a
good option, and why I know it really workes well.

 >> > Regarding the "show in timeline" option, I'm thinking that it'd be
> >>
> >> Or just click on the number? This would as well not change the value.
> >
> > Aren't the numbers editable uppon clicking on them?
>
> But not changed directly. We could avoid the need to press an additional
> button.

mmm.. I don't understand I think. So what would be the procedure to enter a
number by hand? say 385 in a parameter?

Thanks!!