[Kdenlive-devel] kdenlive vs Sony Hi-8 HandyCam DCR-TRV460, with kino thrown in

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Sat Apr 30 05:33:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Friday, April 29, 2011 06:22:06 PM Dan Dennedy did opine:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > Then I go back and run kdenlive, and go see if it can load and edit
>> > any of the several weddings and other movies I have made with kino
>> > over the years, and in only one case can it even see the filenames,
>> > but it cannot open them, and ANAICT doesn't even make the attempt.
>>
>> Say what? Maybe you have a broken build. Please clarify what files you
>> are trying to open - DV or Kino XML project files. Both are supported,
>> but .kino files probably do not show up in the file dialog until you
>> clear the filter field at the bottom (make it empty and press Enter).
>> Do DV files (.dv or .avi) load? Those should load reliably. Another
>> way to load files is to drag and drop them from a file manager into
>> the Kdenlive Project Tree panel.
>>
> Even with the filter cleaned, it will not show me the files that are there
> in the directory.  It will show dirnames, but no files.

I do not know KDE internals all that well, but I believe a process
called klauncher may be responsible for servicing the file dialog
because I seem to recall having seen a similar problem on OS X when
not initialized with kdeinit4. There is more information here:

http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Startup#klauncher:_Service_Activation

I think this just points to an incomplete kde integration with your
desktop environment.

--
+-DRD-+