[Kdenlive-devel] kdenlive vs Sony Hi-8 HandyCam DCR-TRV460, with kino thrown in

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Apr 30 10:34:44 UTC 2011

On Saturday, April 30, 2011 06:23:55 AM Dan Dennedy did opine:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Friday, April 29, 2011 06:22:06 PM Dan Dennedy did opine:
> >>
> >> Say what? Maybe you have a broken build. Please clarify what files
> >> you are trying to open - DV or Kino XML project files. Both are
> >> supported, but .kino files probably do not show up in the file
> >> dialog until you clear the filter field at the bottom (make it empty
> >> and press Enter). Do DV files (.dv or .avi) load? Those should load
> >> reliably. Another way to load files is to drag and drop them from a
> >> file manager into the Kdenlive Project Tree panel.
> >
> > Even with the filter cleaned, it will not show me the files that are
> > there in the directory. �It will show dirnames, but no files.
>
> I do not know KDE internals all that well, but I believe a process
> called klauncher may be responsible for servicing the file dialog
> because I seem to recall having seen a similar problem on OS X when
> not initialized with kdeinit4. There is more information here:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Startup#klauncher:_Ser
> vice_Activation
>
> I think this just points to an incomplete kde integration with your
> desktop environment.

I did get it to load a clip, once, and actually play it, but never could
get it to load the next one in the sequence.  So I can't say I've not seen
it work again.  That nominally 5 seconds played, both video and audio
normally.  Its like the filter line, when cleared, still contains some
invisible character that never matches.

Whats a good drag & drop file manager?, maybe that would work.  mc, my
usual file manager, isn't drag & drop.  Dolphin maybe?  I might try that
after I get some coffee inside me.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)