[Kdenlive-devel] kdenlive vs Sony Hi-8 HandyCam DCR-TRV460, with kino thrown in

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Apr 30 00:10:34 UTC 2011

On Friday, April 29, 2011 06:22:06 PM Dan Dennedy did opine:

> [...]
> > destroying all nodes
> > Apr 27 13:44:46 coyote klogd: firewire_core: rediscovered device fw0
> > Apr 27 13:44:46 coyote klogd: firewire_core: phy config: card 0, new
> > root=ffc1, gap_count=5
> > Apr 27 13:44:46 coyote klogd: firewire_core: skipped bus generations,
> > destroying all nodes
> > Apr 27 13:44:47 coyote klogd: firewire_core: rediscovered device fw0
> > Apr 27 13:44:47 coyote klogd: firewire_core: created device fw1: GUID
> > 08004601044684e4, S100
> > Apr 27 13:44:49 coyote klogd: firewire_core: giving up on config rom
> > for node id ffc0
> >
> > Which is repeated every time the cable is plugged into the camera. �It
> > may switch to /dev/fw1 at times too.
>
> I do not know new firewire subsystem as much as old linux1394, but I
> am not convinced "giving up on config rom" is something to be
> concerned about, and it is normal for messages to appear and device
> nodes to change when plugging devices.
>
> > kdenlive (mine is version 7.8) supposedly gained camera controls back
> > in 2006 according to the ChangeLog on your web pages, but despite
> > have them turned on, the buttons don't work, and despite trying both
> > of the non- screenshot choices available in the menu's, no video from
> > the camera can be found.
>
> Kdenlive simply runs dvgrab piped to ffplay as a child and embeds the
> ffplay window. dvgrab has a stdin slave mode for control (see -i
> interactive switch). However, this apporach has degraded in stability
> over the past couple of years as ffplay changed its method of a/v sync
> and became loss tolerant of stream discontinuity that appears when
> using transport controls. I am planning to add Firewire capture to Mlt
> this summer to address this.
>
> > Shut kdenlive down and fire up kino-1.3.4, and it all Just Works(TM).
> > Flawlessly...
>
> Strange since dvgrab's code is almost exactly the same as Kino's.
> However, unlike Kino, dvgrab and Kdenlive also supports HDV. In
> Kdenlive Settings, see if Firewire capture is set to HDV or DV. Like I
> said, it is known that Firewire capture is no longer working well
> within Kdenlive, so you might just stick with Kino for capture if that
> works for you.
>
> > Then I go back and run kdenlive, and go see if it can load and edit
> > any of the several weddings and other movies I have made with kino
> > over the years, and in only one case can it even see the filenames,
> > but it cannot open them, and ANAICT doesn't even make the attempt.
>
> Say what? Maybe you have a broken build. Please clarify what files you
> are trying to open - DV or Kino XML project files. Both are supported,
> but .kino files probably do not show up in the file dialog until you
> clear the filter field at the bottom (make it empty and press Enter).
> Do DV files (.dv or .avi) load? Those should load reliably. Another
> way to load files is to drag and drop them from a file manager into

Even with the filter cleaned, it will not show me the files that are there
in the directory.  It will show dirnames, but no files.

> > The end result is that I have yet to see kdenlive actually play a
> > video of any kind. �The pclos installed version is 7.8, and the
> > running kernel is 2.6.38.4-pae. 32 bit.
>
> That is a clue that there is something fundamentally wrong with your
> build.

I am not building it, this is the version 0.7.8 from the pclos 2010 + pass
repo's.

> You think all these people using Kdenlive as evidenced by the
> forum traffic and YouTube postings are bluffing?

Not at all Dan.  And I assume that others have been able to make it work if
their distro supports libraw1394-2.00 or newer.  pclos in this regard is a
bit behind the time at version 1.3.0 & everything else is built against
that.  The current dvgrab-3.2 or 3.5 as I just built it, is helplessly
looking for /dev/raw1394, and of course isn't finding it.  kino-1.3.4
appears to be self-contained and that works.

> > Now, its been 3 or 4 years since I made the last dvd's of a wedding,
> > so I need the recipe for importing the best, cleanest image from a
> > 720x480 NTSC camera, and then from my edit final, make that into a
> > dvd the parents and kids can both play. �They've been waiting
> > patiently since last November 2010, I assume because I downloaded a
> > copy to their vhs machine before I came home. �But I know I can make
> > a dvd that is many times sharper and cleaner than that vhs can do
> > even in the test laboratory.
> >
> > Was that ever committed to a kino "do this, in this order" recipe that
> > makes us all look like we know what we are doing? �URL please if it
> > exists.
>
> http://www.kinodv.org/help/dvdauthor

Good, I'll take a look after dinner maybe.  I just promised the missus we'd
go out for dinner. I hope she feels like it anyway, COPD is slowly taking
her away.

> As long as you get its dvdauthor working (which may have broken by now
> due to lack of maintenance), it really is very simple. If it is broken
> you can probably just run it from command line to see any messages and
> fix it by editing the script in /usr/share/kino/scripts/dvdauthor/.

Some of those scripts were for qdvdauthor, so I also installed that and the
rest of its dependencies.

I'll be back with some sort of a report, I need to get this done.
(hopefully while they are still married)
  ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)