[Kdenlive-devel] A proposal

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Thu Sep 23 16:26:49 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 22 September 2010 20:25:00 Jesus E. Matamoros wrote:
> Good afternoon, my name is Jesus Matamoros belong to a government agency
> attached to science and technology minisiterio called Fundacion Infocentro
> in Venezuela, the service provided the foundation Infocentro is next,
> providing the service free high speed internet, training issues free
> software (Open Officce, Linux basics, audiovisual production, Etc. ..), for
> the latter have been using for video editing Kdenlive, which seems like an
> excellent video editor for GNNU / Linux, now we are interested in assist
> with the development of Kdenlive, our idea is to hire a group of
> developers, testers, and editors to collaborate on the development of the
> tool and release all the code we could generate.
>
> So I would like to guide me what are the steps to continue to make our idea
> could become reality.

Hello!

Nice to hear that!

Well, first of all you need to be aware that Kdenlive is only the GUI. All
video processing is currently done by MLT (http://www.mltframework.org).

MLT itself is using different projects to handle audio and video:

FFmpeg for most of the av decoding / encoding, Frei0r, Sox and LADSPA for
effects and some other projects too.

So the first step is for you to decide what you want to focus on:

* Kdenlive:
You could work on GUI improvements, current bugs, Desktop integration or other
new features like stop motion integration, scripting, etc.

* MLT:
This would improve the possibilites of our video handling. There already is a
rather long todo at:
http://www.mltframework.org/twiki/bin/view/MLT/ToDo

* Frei0r or another project if you are more interested to work on new effects,
etc.

Once you have decided what you want to focus on, just inform the maintainers
(for Kdenlive, the easiest way is just to look at the existing bugs and assign
some of them to you - I can give you the access rights for that), or if you
want to work on a new feature, create a new entry in the bugtracker in the
"Feature" category so that other people know that you are working on it.

You can then send patches on the mailing list and if the developers agree, you
can then have full svn access.

I hope it answers your questions.

regards
Jean-Baptiste Mardelle