[Kdenlive-devel] video stabilization

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Fri Dec 3 18:38:01 UTC 2010

2010/12/3 Hugh Tebby <hugh.tebby at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> There was some interesting stuff in this thread :
> http://www.kdenlive.org/forum/image-stabilization-0
>
> In particular, this post from Centipede :
>

> Hi again.
>
> Okay, here's my shot at it, albeit a bit hackish: Stabiliz0r (when you're in
> Rome...)
> Tested in Arch linux and Ubuntu 9.10 (updated today). The ubuntu version
> uses the precompiled packages just as described in the download section of
> Kdenlive.
> You will also need to install frei0r-plugins-dev.

In that case, as a frei0r dev, I will pull this into the official collection.

> You will find both the source code (untar, cd worksite/build-lingcc, make -f
> Makefile.frei0r) and the Ubuntu 9.10 frei0r compiled plugin here:
> - Source:
> http://vaults.atomicmonstergirls.net/public/techworks/utilities/yuvmotio...
> - Ubuntu:
> http://vaults.atomicmonstergirls.net/public/techworks/utilities/ubuntu-9...

These sites are not responding, but there is a public source repo here:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/yuvmotiontools

> I had success using stabiliz0r in Kdenlive by simply putting the plugin into
> ~/frei0r-1/lib. But you people are the experts on the matter.

This is not in the default MLT search path. However,
$HOME/.frei0r-1/lib is - notice the dot before frei0r. Was that a type
on your part, or did it actually work exactly like that?

> Should show up in the effects list as Misc/Stabiliz0r.
> EDIT1: I should add that performance is not the most incredible.
> EDIT2: Kdenlive crashed at least on one occasion using the stabilizer. May
> have to do with the fact that it is slow.

hmm, I hesitate to blame it on the speed, but if you experiment some
more, try disabling frame-dropping in the monitor and/or rendering to
see if continues to crash. Known crashing plugins where the solution
is not real obvious are being dropped from the installed plugins in
the frei0r build and/or blacklisted in Kdenlive to postpone them.

> Happy new year...
> Centipede (Rene Jensen)
>
> He apparently made at least a semi-working frei0r plugin, but I haven't
> tested it myself... Anyway, it could help whoever wants to tackle
> stabilisation in Kdenlive !
>
> Cheers,
> Hugh
>
> 2010/12/3 Gabriel Gazzán <gabcorreo at gmail.com>
>>
>> pretty interesting results!

Yes, the vstab demo video looks great. Also, the code is very clean
and simple. It requires a dual pass mode of operation, and I need to
think about this. Maybe a first pass filter can somehow serialize
vectors as string to supply as a property to a second pass filter. I
believe we have a need for something similar in audio de-noise. One
idea is to supply a filename - first plugin writes to the file and the
second one reads it. This would not be used in a combined pipeline.
Rather, the app would, on some user-initiated event, have a special
function to run the shot through the first pass plugin in a modal
fashion.

--
+-DRD-+