[Kdenlive-devel] Become a KDE project? (docs, translations, git, ...)

Simon Eugster simon.eu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 18:34:40 UTC 2010

2010/8/29 Markus Slopianka <markus.s at kdemail.net>:
> Hi.
> I gave it a few thoughts and I think Kdenlive should apply to become a KDE Extragear
> application.
> So far I can't think of any counter arguments but the pro arguments to the status quo are

No obligations?

> IMO:
>
> 1.) Documentation. Unilike WikiBooks KDE's UserBase is meant to be used with applications.
> The KDE team is currently in the process (mostly finished already, btw) to auto-generate
> DocBooks for offline use and try to fit it as smoothly as possible into KDE's automated
> translation workflow.

(as far as I've understood, being an extragear app is not a
requirement for the UserBase?)

> 2.) KDE's automated translation workflow. 'Scripty' generates new translation templates
> automatically and also updates existing translations with new strings etc.
> KDE's existing translation teams could take also look over Kdenlive. Existing Kdenlive
> translators can continue to maintain it.

Sounds useful. If special video terms are not translated incorrectly, that is ;)

> 3.) git. KDE is setting up its own git infrastructure. Kdenlive could use it (in the past
> SVN was the only option which made some projects migrate away from KDE servers and other
> projects not become part of the KDE Family in the first place.

The kdenlive repository would have to be moved from sf.net to kde, right?

> 4.) KDE's SysAdmin Team. Forums, git server, translation work flow, etc. are maintained by
> a dedicated team -- taking load from the shoulders of the ones maintaining Kdenlive's own
> forum.

I think we'd rather keep the current forums (drupal integration is neat.)

> 5.) Increased visibility via news posts on dot.kde.org.

This would be a benefit :)

Other thoughts welcomed.

Simon