[Kdenlive-devel] Become a KDE project? (docs, translations, git, ...)

Markus Slopianka markus.s at kdemail.net
Sun Aug 29 10:43:28 UTC 2010

Hi.
I gave it a few thoughts and I think Kdenlive should apply to become a KDE Extragear
application.
So far I can't think of any counter arguments but the pro arguments to the status quo are
IMO:

1.) Documentation. Unilike WikiBooks KDE's UserBase is meant to be used with applications.
The KDE team is currently in the process (mostly finished already, btw) to auto-generate
DocBooks for offline use and try to fit it as smoothly as possible into KDE's automated
translation workflow.

2.) KDE's automated translation workflow. 'Scripty' generates new translation templates
automatically and also updates existing translations with new strings etc.
KDE's existing translation teams could take also look over Kdenlive. Existing Kdenlive
translators can continue to maintain it.

3.) git. KDE is setting up its own git infrastructure. Kdenlive could use it (in the past
SVN was the only option which made some projects migrate away from KDE servers and other
projects not become part of the KDE Family in the first place.

4.) KDE's SysAdmin Team. Forums, git server, translation work flow, etc. are maintained by
a dedicated team -- taking load from the shoulders of the ones maintaining Kdenlive's own
forum.

5.) Increased visibility via news posts on dot.kde.org.

If interested, I could establish the connections between you guys and the right people on
the KDE side.

Markus