[Kdenlive-devel] Google Summer of Code?

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Mar 5 18:42:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 6:48 AM, el jefe delito <eljefedelito at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no pull in this since I am not a developer in any way, but lossless rendering (or "non-destructive rendering") would be fantastic.  It would speed up rendering of large projects by just copying the source video for all clips that don't have effects applied to them, and allow KDEnlive and MLT to have even higher-quality output if the video doesn't need to be re-encoded.  Just an idea that I've heard mentioned before.  More here (couldn't find it in Mantis tho):
> http://kdenlive.org/forum/lossless-no-reencoding

This is not trivial at all and since it is rather deep into how MLT
works and will require touching nearly every MLT module, I do not
think it is good for SoC. Something that is more add-on is better.

Also, this whole idea of passthrough is very tricky for the user to be
practical. The UI will need a lot of work to help the user from doing
things that will require rendering when perhaps they did not expect or
want so. All of this is an immense amount of work, and it is
increasingly less popular IMHO because more often than not you end up
encoding to some unrelated format in the end. Therefore, it does not
have a great return on investment, especially when compared to other
things on the ToDo list.

> Another idea I'd like to see is 'easy crossfades' where two clips on one timeline would have an effect that overlays on both clips; their start/end points would determin how far into each clip the crossfade would function, and it would include audio crossfades.
>
> Just some ideas for those who want 'em :)

I agree with this, but I am also optimistic that it can be addressed
before the end of SoC.

--
+-DRD-+