[Kdenlive-devel] Google Summer of Code?

el jefe delito eljefedelito at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 14:48:17 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 02:38:58 Janez Urevc wrote:
> Since I am a student of software development and I already partecipated in
> an OSS project, I would like to start contributing to Kdenlive too. This is
> also the reason for my interest in partecipatig GSoC as a student, working
> on Kdenlive. Are there any other ideas, about projects that would be
> intersting for community?

I have no pull in this since I am not a developer in any way, but lossless rendering (or "non-destructive rendering") would be fantastic.  It would speed up rendering of large projects by just copying the source video for all clips that don't have effects applied to them, and allow KDEnlive and MLT to have even higher-quality output if the video doesn't need to be re-encoded.  Just an idea that I've heard mentioned before.  More here (couldn't find it in Mantis tho):
http://kdenlive.org/forum/lossless-no-reencoding

Another idea I'd like to see is 'easy crossfades' where two clips on one timeline would have an effect that overlays on both clips; their start/end points would determin how far into each clip the crossfade would function, and it would include audio crossfades.

Just some ideas for those who want 'em :)

Jeffrey
Minneapolis USA