[Kdenlive-devel] What is professional level work?

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Fri Jun 26 06:05:09 UTC 2009

Fredag 26 juni 2009 skrev Dan Dennedy:

> > Thanks. I tend to agree, but only because my personal itch is towards
> > stable software rather than featureladden software. People tend to
> > belittle kino, but kino was very very solid and did what it did very
> > well. Every time I start a video project in kdenlive, it seems I end up
> > filing bugs about stability. (Although the situation has improved
> > tremendously during the last year!) But, unfortunately, the people that
> > actually do contribute (and not just talk like me) seems to have other
> > foci.
>
> I believe most effort since the first 0.7 beta has been stability and
> correctness of existing features. I am surprised to hear that is not
> your perception. Or is there some misunderstanding or misperception?

You are probably right, and I am probably wrong. But I have yet to be able to
create a 2-3 minute video that did not expose a problem I had trouble working
around, and I guess some of that frustration escaped in my statement above.

E.g. the previous week my kid needed my help in putting together a very minial
video ( which is now at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YSLovw6Mvg - not big
art, but they do enjoy themselves ), and I had many troubles with clips
getting stuck on the timeline and even a few crashes.

I should have been more balanced in the above statemens. Kdenlive is improving
rapidly all the time, and I am hugely impressed with the time, effort and
skills of the core developers (you know who you are :-). OTOH it is very
frustrating to hear my kid exclaim, after 15 minutes of editing and all sorts
of "this really should not happen" problems, that he thinks "its the worst
video editing software ever". (Thats just kids for you, turns out he have only
ever used kino and kdenlive :-).

Obviously I should just put my money where my mouth is and debug this and fix
it - or at the very least file a proper bug(!) - alas, since about before
Christmas, my time has been even more limited than I like, so when I have 30
minutes to sit down and put a video together for my son, I really would prefer
that basic editing had no issues at all, rather than I can now recode from the
GUI....

> Of course, we all like to work on new features occasionally because "a
> spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."

I understand that, and I believe I even wrote that I have no intention to try
to change peoples goals. I think everybody is doing a great job - apart from
me, obviously - I am doing far to little.

Regards

Mads

P.S. I sent a small patch for MLT/swig configure yesterday, it appears it
didn't make it to the list - should I mail you a copy on your personal
address?

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

The low quality of [MP3] files should prevent this format from threatening
control of our intellectual property. Why would anyone listen to a sub-CD
quality song when they can easily buy the CD at the local Tower Records?
                               - RIAA head, Hillary Rosen, March 1997