[Kdenlive-devel] off-line video editing (Oceanwatcher)

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Thu Jun 25 18:48:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:33 AM, <diffid at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Compositing is done at 32bit float these days and there's the rub kdenlive
> is just playing catch up with what an NLE was providing 10-15 yrs ago
> without the stability, features or maturity.

I wonder if blender is doing this sort of deep processing with video
filters, etc. I think blender is an amazing tool with quite a
different appeal than what kdenlive offers. Also, Lumiera might be
trying to do this level of processing. It can be good to have multiple
projects in the same space - each with their own trade-offs.

> The arrogant part i agree with provide a framework for a gpl'd open source
> app and restrict certain features as 'Pro' to be paid for due to
> underlying commercial vested interests.

Except that the commercial interests are not just implied as
"underlying" may suggest; rather, they are overt. Hey, I am just
trying to do more of what I love to do. I know of some former foss
developers that have taken a job in the post or film software field
that are now restricted from doing foss development.

> Yes there is no reason why people should not profit from GPL'd
> applications or be shouted at for not providing a solid underlying
> framework for higher end use for serious amateurs or semi pro's.
>
> That's why I've lost interest in kdenlive, it will get talked up by
> everyone as Linux's prime NLE and fall flat with anyone wanting to do
> serious amateur / Pro work.

Most pros know Autodesk (Discreet) Smoke is Linux's premier NLE.

--
+-DRD-+