[Kdenlive-devel] off-line video editing (Oceanwatcher)

diffid at blueyonder.co.uk diffid at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 08:33:38 UTC 2009

Yes I totally agree, I remember when kdenlive started many years ago one
lad from the UK, the only alternative was Kino by Dan or Cinelerra (good
god!).

Linux was without a decent NLE way back then for home videos or
amateur/pro use serious or not and when there is a strong developer
interest in providing Linux with an NLE they aim low at home user's and a
cippled app restricted to 8bit processing with a poor 8bit filters
discussing 8bit editing and compositing in the same breath.

Compositing is done at 32bit float these days and there's the rub kdenlive
is just playing catch up with what an NLE was providing 10-15 yrs ago
without the stability, features or maturity.

The arrogant part i agree with provide a framework for a gpl'd open source
app and restrict certain features as 'Pro' to be paid for due to
underlying commercial vested interests.

Yes there is no reason why people should not profit from GPL'd
applications or be shouted at for not providing a solid underlying
framework for higher end use for serious amateurs or semi pro's.

That's why I've lost interest in kdenlive, it will get talked up by
everyone as Linux's prime NLE and fall flat with anyone wanting to do
serious amateur / Pro work.

sorry but there it is...