[Kdenlive-devel] off-line video editing (Oceanwatcher)

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Thu Jun 25 12:33:17 UTC 2009

Torsdag 25 juni 2009 skrev diffid at blueyonder.co.uk:

I probably should not respond to this, as I reckon very little constructive
will come from it. But, nevertheless.

> Yes I totally agree, I remember when kdenlive started many years ago one
> lad from the UK, the only alternative was Kino by Dan or Cinelerra (good
> god!).

I have made very nice videos with Kino, thank-you-very-much.

> Linux was without a decent NLE way back then for home videos or
> amateur/pro use serious or not and

I want to answer the next part:

> when there is a strong developer
> interest in providing Linux with an NLE

What makes you think there is a strong developer interest in providing Linux
with an NLE? Please go count the number of different people that have comitted
to kdenlive (outside po, the translation directory).

Or, do the same to MLT.

As Dan clearly stated: "I ask for money in the hopes
that I may eventually work on MLT on a full-time basis - something
everyone would benefit from [...]
my priorities are driven by, in order: professional contract, personal
interests, popular interests (not the vocal minority) that will grow
the community to increase feedback (mostly on bugs and nuisances),
followed by the more esoteric or advanced features. The last category
more-or-less is not addressed until it elevates to one of the other
categories."

May I recommend this paper as an introduction to why developers participate in
open source/free software development:
http://freesoftware.mit.edu/papers/lakhaniwolf.pdf

> The arrogant part i agree with provide a framework for a gpl'd open source
> app and restrict certain features as 'Pro' to be paid for due to
> underlying commercial vested interests.

I do not think they are restricted in any sense. Rather the message is: "fine,
you want this, I am not persuaded that I should use my limited spare time
towards this goal, but you can motivate me by paying me". Nowwhere does it
follow that a code contribution would not be accepted.

I personally would prefer that everybody dropped all adding of features and
focused on stability for the next 3 months, but it is not going to happen, as
I personally do not have time for that currently, and the core developers have
other goals.

> Yes there is no reason why people should not profit from GPL'd
> applications or be shouted at for not providing a solid underlying
> framework for higher end use for serious amateurs or semi pro's.

This is really confusing - I tend to totally agree, but:

> That's why I've lost interest in kdenlive, it will get talked up by
> everyone as Linux's prime NLE and fall flat with anyone wanting to do
> serious amateur / Pro work.

It may very well do that. OTOH, it may happen, that some serious amateur comes
by, that is willing to donate his time, if not his money, into actually
implementing this stuff, rather than more less complaining that noones else
has done it, and that other peoples goals are not in line with his.

Regards

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

The US population is 4 % of the global one. They produce 23 % of the global
pollution.