[Kdenlive-devel] Introduction

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Wed Jun 3 07:23:03 UTC 2009

Onsdag 03 juni 2009 skrev Oceanwatcher:
> Hi,
>
> I am new on the list and would like to introduce myself.

Nice. We should all do that, really. They do that on the bugzilla mailing
list, and it works very well.

So, an ultrashort introduction about me: I have only used two video editing
programs in my life, kino and kdenlive. I have tried to contribute to both,
with varying succes. I know way to little about video/digital signal
processing in general. For kdenlive I have written a builder wizard, which
have seen some use, and I have tried to streamline the issue reporting (bug
handling) to ease the burden on the core developers.

I should be able to actually code on Kdenlive - in my proffessional life I
work as a C++ developer - but lack of time have often stopped me short. I have
made some minor modifications to e.g. the titler though.

> Unfortunately, I can not offer any help with programming myself. But if I
> can help any other way, let me know.

The good news is, that you can!

There is a page here:
http://kdenlive.org/contribution-manual
and some discussion here:
http://kdenlive.org/forum/how-can-we-community-help-kdenlive

Given your extensive knowledge about video editing, perhaps you would like to
contribute some documentation? Of course it would require you to actually
learn kdenlive, but given the posts you have made in the forums, you should
have no hard time doing that.

There are other tasks as well.

> I will ask the programmers I know if
> they can help here, but I need to know a little bit more about what is
> required. Do you have a page that say something about the programming
> language etc. that a dev need to know?

I don't think we do, actually. An ultra short list:
Languages: C++ and C
Frameworks: Qt and KDE
Mlt, and ffmpeg, is used to interact with video, so eventually one should
learn Mlt at least.

Time is probably also quite valuable; even though the docs for KDE and Qt are
very good, the code for Kdenlive is largely undocumented - at least compared
to what I personally is used to. I would like to change this.

Your second language would not by any chance be Norsk? Then we could use
translations:
http://kdenlive.org/contribution-manual/how-translate-kdenlive

Regards

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by
zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed
in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement, but few can
argue with it.
- Kenneth V. Lanning, Supervisory Special Agent at the Behavioral Science
Institution and Research Unit of the FBI Academy (from Carl Sagan's, The
Demon-Haunted World)