[Kdenlive-devel] Introduction

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sun Jun 7 18:14:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 12:24:53AM -0300, Oceanwatcher wrote:
> But as Linux is all about flexibility, you could of course make
> a dual interface that can operate in a normal lingo and a
> non-experienced lingo :-)

Er, exactly what I thought (short of a set of "pro" locales
but that's rather funny even if technically doable :).

Sort of "expert button" which would switch lingo set and probably
regulate interface richness vs simplicity.

Pro:
- ability to "grow up"
- still, integrated translability

Contra:
- more complicated code (UI/implementation)
- sharper need in careful defaults for simple mode
- people tend to press those expert buttons just to feel good,
  so if it's going to be implemented some day it's better to
  put somewhere aside, preferably where a pro would stumble
  upon it anyways

We had such button in a Linux distro installer, finally moved
into the very first boot screen onto a function key -- it was
inobtrusive enough so that those who didn't care just passed by.

BTW there was a concept called "user level" in GeoWorks, it was
implemented throughout the environment and finer-grained than
newbie/advanced:

---
A great feature of Ensemble is that most of the applications are
scalable. For example, if I set GeoWrite to user level one,
I have what amounts to little more than a glorified text editor.
If I set it to user level four, I have a program that is adequate
for desktop publishing.
--- http://www.markshapiro.com/Issue8.p12-p30.html

There was also a GNOME-related discussion here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org/msg00920.html

> But then again, this could make a lot of trouble for people
> that want to help in the forums...

Unfortunately yes, but that could be amended by "pro" or "newbie"
sections on at least topic forums since the discussion level and
scope tends to vary too.

> > My drinking buddy and I don't give a rat's ass about SMPTE
> > and the proper names and standard numbers.

Fortuned, sir! :)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>